Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It's a Dirty Job

This post is actually a book recommendation! I recently read Dirty Job, by Christopher Moore, and thuroughly enjoyed it. I'm making it my first book recommendation on this blog.


About Christopher Moore. His style of writing is comedic fiction. His books are literally a laugh-fest. I usually find I laugh out loud on more than half the pages throughout the entire book, and Dirty Job was no exception.


(caution: some small spoilers...)
Charlie Archer, an average guy (and a self-proclaimed Beta-Male) who owns a 2nd-hand clothing & collectibles shop, tragically loses his wife following the birth of thier 1st child. Unbeknownst to Charlie, his newborn daughter is fated to become the next "Great Death" (or Grim Reaper if you prefer), while he himself has become a "death merchant". Further complicating matters, the instruction book on how to be a death merchant is intercepted by Charlie's slacker of an employee, a high school goth-chick who thinks its the coolest book ever.

Dirty Job quickly becomes a laugh-fest inspite of the frequently recurring themes of death & greiving. So pick up this book and follow Charlie as he plunders about trying to get a grasp of his new charge that he's unaware of, and trying to raise a daughter whose pivotal destiny is likewise kept in the dark from him for the majority of this quirky yet touching story.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sounds cool! I may check that out when I finish with what I'm reading now.

Also, I linked to you on my regular blog, fyi.