Monday, January 21, 2008

Ode To Bubba-Gump

It's funny sometimes how much the little things in life can mean to you. I recently lost a little thing in my life and was surprised how down I felt about it for days. It was Bubba-Gump, the last remaining goldfish in my aquarium.

Bubba had outlived his original tank-mate, Goldie, both of whom we have had in our home since before we were married (almost 6 years ago). Bubba was the longest lived pet I've owned since my childhood dog. He had even been nick-named "The Fish That Won't Die". Bubba was older than 2 of our 3 cats in actual years, and was always there, swimming around, waiting to greet us when we came home from work (or maybe he was just waiting to be fed).

He may have lived a number of years more, if it weren't for a mysterious infection he seemed to catch after I decided to add a couple friends to his tank. As it happens, after I bought 2 more fish from a local petstore, all 3 of them soon developed a white filmy layer on their fins & scales. The 2 new fish were belly-up within days, and Bubba was looking worse for wear. I switched him to a fish bowl of fresh water and put some anti-fungal treatment in the water. In the end it was too little too late, as he succumbed to the sickness another couple days later.

Either way, the now vacant fish tank is a constant reminder of his abscence. Someday soon, I'll drain, clean & refill the tank & all it's accessories. Then I'll fill it with an all-new group of aquatic little friends. Then we'll have a happy home of pets, both dry & wet again. I know they'll not be the same as good ol' Bubba, but maybe they'll grow to mean as much to us.

Fare well Bubba Gump!

2 comments:

Wild Woman said...

I miss bubba too! the beast damn fish ever. R.I.P. Bubba

Rachel said...

My granny once had a goldfish (also named Goldie) who lived for over 10 years, and creepily enough, died the same day she did.