Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Romanov Prophecy

The Romanov Prophecy, by Steve Berry
Here's another book recommendation!
As part of my part-time job at a bookstore, I'm asked to recommend titles I enjoy to our customers. Its great! The author I've been recommending lately is Steve Berry.

Although I've collected all his books, the only one I've found time to read so far is The Romanov Prophecy. Nonetheless, this was a great book. A modern-day fiction, based on historical circumstances surrounding the Romanovs. The story builds upon the possibility that 2 of the children escaped the massacre. (I think they have identified the real remains of these children w/ DNA testing after the publication of this story).

This is a fast-paced action/mystery, told from the point of view of an American lawyer (Miles Lord), who is researching the backgrounds of various candidates nominated to become the new Tsar of Russia. His research leads him into the mysterious history of the Romanov assassinations, and he soon finds himself narrowly escaping several attempts on his own life.

The scope of the conspiracy grows throughout the book. Excellent plot twists are perfectly planted in this edge-of-you-seat page-turner.

I've been recommending this, and other books by this author by saying he writes a very similar style to Dan Brown, author of the DaVinci Code. If you liked any of Brown's books, try readign Steve Berry!

2 comments:

Wild Woman said...

Good review. FYI in the last year or so they discovered the last 2 Romanovs children. It was Alexi and one of his sisters. They have been buried along with the rest of the family. And I believe in 2002 the russian orthodic church declared the whole family as saints.

The Witty Librarian said...

I'm glad you liked the book. Steve Berry is an excellent author, very well written and well researched, too.